This property on the banks of the Chao Phraya only has seven rooms, each tastefully designed to incorporate the idiosyncrasies of the hotel’s historic shop house setting. All rooms have river views but the view from the hotel’s restaurant and upstairs bar, which look out directly onto Wat Arun, are spectacular.
- Address: 36-38 Soi Pratoo Nok Yoong, Bangkok, +66 2221 9158-9.
- Price: From 3,500 Baht ($100) for a double room, breakfast included.
This exceptionally well-designed small hotel in the middle of Bangkok’s Chinatown makes visitors feel like they’ve stepped onto the set of a 1920s Shanghai movie. Rich colors, plenty of dark carved wood and lots of silk could be kitschy but look elegant and beautiful in this hotel. Bathrooms and tech amenities are thoroughly modern, and there’s even free wifi in the rooms.
- Address: 479-481 Yaowarat Road, Bangkok, +66 2221 2121.
- Price: From 2,200 Baht ($65) for a double room, breakfast included.
The charming Thai-style small teak houses and lush gardens on the Chao Phraya river are as authentic as it gets. No wonder, as before this was a boutique resort, it was a small royal palace and the family that owns it are descendants of one of the Rama kings. The location, right in the middle of the Old City, can’t be beat for sightseeing and dining out, but staff will also cater private dinners on the grounds.
- Address: 396 Maharaj Road.
- Price: From 8,000 Baht ($235) for a small suite to 25,000 Baht ($735) for a full villa.
The biggest property on this list is all about chic and charm from the minute you step into the intimate, dark lobby. The theme here is modern Thai and it shows through in every part of the hotel, from the over-sized Buddhist artwork to the Thai-fusion menu at the property's restaurant. Rooms are exceptionally large for the price and neighborhood – a quiet street in the central business district. The compact hotel bar is a place to see and be seen.
- Address: 81 Soi Rumrudee, +66 2695 4242.
- Price: From 2,600 Baht ($75) for one bedroom suite.
5. The Eugenia
The Eugenia is the city's best example of a boutique hotel. Though the hotel was just built in 2006, hardwood floors, shutters and plenty of period furniture exude the charm and privilege of a 19th century colonial mansion. A garage of vintage cars available for hire completes the illusion. The twelve rooms are all large and airy and the pool, though small, is more than adequate for the number of guests.
- Address: 267 Sukhumvit Soi 31, +66 2259 9011.
- Price: From 5,800 Baht ($75) for suite, breakfast included.