1. Baan Rim Pa
Baan Rim Pa is the obvious choice for fine Thai dining on Phuket. The traditional Thai menu, attentive service and large wine list attract foreigners and locals looking for a special meal. The elegant, open-air dining room is nestled in the hills overlooking Patong and Kalim bays so if you arrive in time for sunset be prepared for a stunning view.
- Address: 223 Prabaramee Rd., Kalim Beach, Phuket, +66 7634 0789
- Cost: Around 2,000 Baht ($60) for two people
2. Raya Thai Cuisine
Those who crave high-quality, authentic Thai food in an elegant but casual environment will find Raya Thai Cuisine well worth the drive into Phuket Town. Khun Garab has been cooking for decades and the dishes she prepares are homey and amazingly good. The restaurant, in a restored colonial mansion, is very popular with in-the-know visiting Bangkok residents. Rumor has it that some her well-heeled clients have even had Khun Garab's dishes flown in from Phuket when they can't make it to the islands.
- Address: 48 New Deebuk Cross Rd., Phuket Town, Phuket, +66 7621 8155
- Cost: Around 800 Baht ($25) for two people
The curries and typical Thai dishes are delicious but the fresh-caught seafood is what’s really shines at this Phuket institution. Pick your fish or shellfish and let your server know how you’d like it prepared and then sit back and enjoy the view of Chalong Bay and the surrounding islands. Kan Eang @ Pier looks fancy (it was completely renovated in 2007) but is really just a great, basic seafood restaurant.
- Address: 44/1 Viset Rd., Chalong, Phuket, +66 7638 1212
- Cost: Around 1,200 Baht ($35) for two people
Mom Tri’s elegant beachfront restaurant on Kata Noi is consistently ranked one of the island’s best restaurants. The airy dining room attracts a mix of foreign visitors and local tourists, and the Thai and Mediterranean menu satisfies everyone’s tastes. During high season, reservations are essential.
- Address: 12 Kata Noi Rd., Kata, Phuket, +66 7633 3569
- Cost: Around 2,500 Baht ($75) for two people
This sleek, chic rooftop restaurant just around the corner from Surin Beach serves traditional Thai food and very international cocktails to a cosmopolitan crowd. Sit out on one of the comfy balcony loungers or inside in the air-conditioned dining room.
- Address: The Plaza Surin, 5/50 Moo 3, Surin, Phuket, +66 7627 1702
- Cost: Around 1,500 Baht ($45) for two people