Question: What is Koh Pha Ngan's Full Moon Party?
The rugged, less developed island of Koh Pha Ngan in the Samui Archipelago is world famous for its monthly full moon parties, but what are they exactly?
Answer: Koh Pha Ngan's full moon parties don't really have any historical, cultural or religious roots. According to some, they were started a few decades ago by some bored backpackers and local bar owners and have since mushroomed into massive monthly all night beach raves. Here are a few facts to keep in mind if you're planning on visiting Koh Pha Ngan and attending one of the parties.
- For better or worse, full moon parties are often booze-filled and sometimes drug-filled all night beach benders.
- Most attendees are younger Western tourists though there are Thais there to party, too.
- Sometimes undercover cops also attend, and there are frequent drug arrests.
- Watch your belongings, stick with your friends and pay attention to your surroundings, no matter how much fun you're having -- there is a significant amount of crime during these parties.
- Sleep it off the next day on one of the island's many nice beaches.